Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tree Pose - Vrikshahsana


While in the gorgeous Philadelphia, I noticed the amazing trees in lush fall colors. I decided to be a "Tree on a Rock". With a sign "No Rock Climbing" very close by, my rebel yogini side came out, and I decided to find balance and execute tree pose, on a rock! With one gush of wind, it would have been an interesting drop, but I still maintained my desire to be a tree on a rock. While the challenge of the pose is finding balance, the rock beneath my feet added a deeper challenge. To do tree pose successfully:
  1. Begin in Tadasana/Mountain Pose, with feet together, firmly planted, and arms at your sides.
  2. Inhale, and bend the left knee, and bring the sole of the foot to the inner right thigh. Exhale.
  3. Inhale, bring the hands to the heart or over head and breathe.
  4. Maintain balance with right toes pointed forward, inner arch lifted, squared hips, and focus on a focal point/dristi.
  5. It also helps to imagine yourself as a strong tree with roots into the ground.

Tree pose helps to strengthen thighs, calves, back, and increases flexibility in groin and hips. This pose improves focus, balance and concentration. It also is helpful for people with flat feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment