Friday, December 2, 2011

Frozen (Grapes) bites of heaven


Recently after teaching an awesome Yoga class downtown to three families on their amazing rooftop, the ever popular topic of healthy eating came up. We were discussing juicing, and healthy foods, when one of the ladies eyes lit up at the mention of fruits. They were insistent that I try frozen grapes, the kids specifically insisted on frozen red grapes. While I have had frozen fruits before, especially for smoothies, I had to admit I never froze my grapes. I was told they are like little bites of sorbet, another person insisted to call them Popsicle bites of heaven. The reality is, organic grapes can be expensive, and sometimes can go bad quick, so putting them in the freezer is also economical.

I tried, and WOW!!! My new favorite snack, that can last for long time. Since the frozen grape has a longer shelf life, their is no excuse to avoid purchasing an organic grape. For the calorie counters out there, grapes are not so high in calories, roughly a little over 60 calories for one serving/1 cup. For parents who are itching to ween your kids to a healthier lifestyle, 4 kids gave their seal of enthusiastic approval when I was informed of this awesome, healthy snack.

Grapes also happen to be an excellent source of potassium, calcium, and magnesium and vitamin A. Grapes are rich in antioxidants like flavones, tannins, anthocyanins, which scientists claim to have anti cancer benefits. Red Grapes are also a great source of Resveratol, which promotes a healthy heart.

Thanks Roof top Yogis for sharing the wonderful snack idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment