Monday, January 9, 2012

Yoga and Art












While many people understand and study the Yoga practice as an eight limbed practice, there is something very artistic about the third limb, the asana.

B.K.S Iyengar says it best "When I practice, I'm a philosopher, when I teach, I'm a scientist, when I demonstrate, I'm an artist."

If you approach yoga asana like me, it is an offering to something beyond a physical exercise, a moving prayer/meditation. When asana is captured in photos, the beauty in the pose comes from the beauty within the yoga aspirant. That connection with the divine energy that exists in all of us, is the true beauty behind the yoga asana practice. For those who have seen the beloved picture of Sri Dharma Mittra doing the 908 poses, (I have it framed in my room) you may know that Sri Dharma took the pictures himself. Each picture he would be concentrating on God, and the finish product was a gift for his beloved Guru, Swami Kailashananda.

Recently a beloved student of mine sent me an email with an attached photo. The photo was of me doing Pigeon Pose, and it was edited by her friend, an incredibly talented artist named JB Rodriguez. Apparently, JB had seen my photo on Facebook, and felt inspired. I was so touched to see the picture and amazed at how cool it looked, vivid and electric is how I would describe it. JB later asked if he could work with some more of my photos, and of course I said yes. I am so honored that he was inspired to work with my photos, and want to express my appreciation by sharing his incredible talent with you all.

I have seen a lot of his artistic edits, and it truly is amazing! If you are interested in having your photos edited, manipulated and enhanced by an incredibly talented artist, please look up JB Rodriguez on Facebook, he has a page called Way I see it: http://www.facebook.com/way.I.see.it?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment