Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dharma Yoga East & Karma Yoga



“Reduce your wants and lead a happy and contented life. Never hurt the feelings of others and be kind to all. Think of God as soon as you get up and when you go to bed.” Sri Dharma Mittra

Last month I heard the sad news that Dharma East was closing. This news was very sad, as the studio was a magical place. A small studio where many Yogis (my colleges and friends) would gather in a packed Master classes, led by one of the only people in NYC worthy of the title Guru, Sri Dharma Mittra. His knowledge of yoga, and practice is inspirational beyond anything I have experienced in the Western World. As I have been in India since January teaching yoga, and also becoming a certified Ashtanga Yogi, I was unable to attend a final class at this amazing studio in NYC. Since I left NYC, I tell my students that it is not the building or the teacher that makes the experience of yoga, but rather the dedication to the practice by the student/yoga aspirant....I do make an exception for Sri Dharma, as he is nothing short of remarkable. A real gift to the NYC community of Yoga.

Last year, I took time from my super busy schedule of teaching Yoga Asana, and spent a few months doing daily Karma Yoga at Dharma West. Like many yogis who love the teaching of Sri Dharma, I spent a good amount of time there taking daily (life changing) classes, and offering my time & service as a Karma Yogi with tremendous gratitude for the classes I was blessed to take with Sri Dharma. Karma Yoga is a wonderful way to purify your Karma, to serve with gratitude to your guru or place of practice, and a chance to give back to the practice that allows you to receive & give to others. Karma Yoga is a path of Yoga, that as a Yogi we need to practice. While I was there doing errands, cleaning, attending the front desk, tending to the shop, preparing Teacher Training certificates and anything asked of me.....one day Sri Dharma's beautiful wife, asked me to model for the amazing line of Yoga Clothing. We modeled many of the wonderful hoodies, hats, and shirts....and some of the pictures made it to the online store. It was an honor to do anything that was required at the Dharma West Temple.

If you have not gone to practice at Dharma West, please do. Classes with Sri Dharma will inspire you more than you can imagine, the quality of class is amazing, the classes led by Dharma Yogis are remarkable...... The energy is unlike any other studio in NYC.....and the clothing is super cute. I look forward to practicing at the Dharma West Temple once again. Thank you Sri Dharma & the Dharma Yoga Asana Center family for including me in your family.....Om Prema

Pictures: Sri Dharma Mittra & Ambria in the No Yoga No Peace, Know Yoga Know Peace Hoodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment