Friday, March 2, 2012

Making Paratha in Kerala


So while the amazing Ashtanga Teacher Training is complete, and I along with a fabulous group of individuals are Ashtanga Yogis "Officially"....I must admit I miss the group. Truly grateful for the experience!!! I really enjoyed the experience of teaching & learning in Kerala. I especially enjoyed during the Ayurveda cooking class, being the demo model and learning to make Paratha. The chef was insistent I learn. The chef explained to me that it is like washing clothes. After hearing this, I quickly joked that I use a washing machine. In India, when hand washing we flip the clothes on a rock. So like that we are to flip the dough and slap it down to make soft fluffy paratha. It took a while to learn, with a lotta laughs and a tremendous amount of patients from the chef, I did it!!! I made 3 parathas!!!! Apparently, they were delicious. A Healthy addition to your meals. Thank you Soma Kerala Palace.

Typical Ingredients:

  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tsp ghee
  • salt
Combine dry ingredients. Add water and Ghee. Set aside for a while. Keep applying Ghee and Rolling, slapping and flipping (like pizza dough). Fry on a griddle, serve with some type of curry, curd, pickle or side dish of choice and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment