Saturday, April 21, 2012

Golden Temple

While visiting Temples, Churches, and celebrating festivals is a normal thing here in India before leaving Canada I was determined to see the Golden Temple.  The Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib) is the most important temple/gurudwar for Sikh Indians.  It is located in Amritsar, Punjab, India.  This temple holds the Adi Granth which is the Sikh Holy Scripture.  The Gold Plated Temple with interior fresco and gemstone artwork draws people from all over the world.  There are four entrances, upon entering you must remove your shoes and wash your feet and hands in little pools of water.  The actual Temple is surrounded by water where some people bathe as a symbol of purification.  No alcohol, meat, or smoking is allowed in the shrine.  People wait in procession with prasad (offering) for when they enter the Temple.  All people must have their heads covered as a sign of respect.  This particular day I did not wear a Salwar, instead I wore a Kurtha Top, and so a head covering scarf was provided for me and Ram and Shankar who accompanied me.  The Golden Temple is a beautiful place to visit.  Outside the Temple you can find many beautiful bazaars to shop at, delicious Punjabi Foods, and street side foods like Kulfi.

While I wish I could stay in India longer, visit some more relatives, attend one of my cousins weddings in May, and of course study more, I must return to the West and share this Love & Light.  Thank you India. ~ Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment