To experience the bliss of downward dog:
- Begin on hands & knees. Keep wrists under the shoulders and knees under the hips.
- Inhale and curl the toes and lift the knees
- Exhale lift the tailbone to the sky and let the hips rise up while you push the ground away with the hands. Breathe in & out through the pose with up to 5 breaths.
- Spread the fingers and ground your energy into your finger tips from your forearms.
- Rotate the arms out and Broaden through the shoulders. Feel an expansion in the upper back and collarbones.
- As the head and neck are relaxed guide the shoulder blades away from the ears, down the spine and toward the hips.
- Reach the heart toward the thighs, reach the navel to the spine.
- Keep the knees lifted to engage the quadriceps.
- With an internal rotation of the thighs, straighten the legs (keeping a micro bend in the knees) as you press the heels into the floor.
This pose often will lead into various standing sequences.
Enjoy your Yoga Practice ~ Namaste, Ambria